In the 1800s there were several physicians working as individuals in the villages of the Hope Valley. By the middle of the century all doctors practising in Britain needed to be registered with a central council.
Doctor Taylor was working in Bradwell (opposite the White Hart pub) from the 1850s and in the 1890s, with the arrival of the railway, he had a house and surgery built in Hathersage. It was called The Hollies and is now the Youth Hostel.
He retired soon after The Hollies was completed and sold the practice to Dr Graham Lander, who died in 1916 in his 40s. The practice was taken by Dr Houlbrook, and then in the 1930s by Dr Watson Jago.
What was happening at the other end of the Valley? In the early 1900s Dr Shepherd was practising from Peveril House in the centre of Castleton. He was the last doctor to continue visiting his patients on horseback.
In the 1920s Dr John Bailey took over from Dr Shepherd. He set about expanding the practice with branch surgeries in Hope, Bradwell, Bamford and Edale. The facilities at these surgeries would be considered very basic nowadays. In some locations there was no waiting room and patients queued in the street, whatever the weather!
Soon after the start of the NHS in 1948 Dr Bailey decided to expand into the Hathersage end of the Valley, in direct competition with Dr Jago. To this end he took Dr David Mander as a junior partner in what was essentially the first medical partnership in the Valley.
When Dr Bailey retired in the mid 1960s Dr Jack Lee joined Dr Mander and in the 1980s the practice became a three doctor partnership with Drs Lee, Levick and Moseley after David Mander’s retirement. By then there were no other practices in the immediate area and the foundations of the current medical practice were in place.
With the advancement of medical methods it had become impossible to work from the very basic branch premises and the search was on for somewhere to develop a modern medical centre.
Dr Moseley retired from the practice in 2008.
Drs Bailey & Mander
Dr David Mander
Dr Jack Lee
Miss Evelyn Wilson (Patty) Receiving her OBE on the 16th June 1979 at Buckingham Palace from Her Majesty The Queen, for her work in the local community.
Miss Caroline Wilson
The Misses Caroline and Evelyn (known to all as “Patty”) Wilson lived in Hope and owned a plot of land at the end of Marsh Avenue. In the 1970s, after Caroline’s death, Patty Wilson gave this land to Anchor Housing on the condition that they build wardened accommodation for older people on half of it. Caroline Court was built.
In 1989, after speaking to the doctors, Patty suggested that Anchor Housing should sell the remainder of the land for development of a medical facility. The three doctors paid the housing association £200,000 for the land and in 1990 the Evelyn Medical Centre was completed and named in honour of Miss Wilson.